NOTE: Application opens in late-October, yearly
APPLY NOW! For entry into Fall 2022, our application is available October 15—January 15. The programs offered by the Graduate Program in Health has one admission entry in September, per academic year.
- Please review the minimum admission requirements for the MA and PhD. All online applications require official transcripts, CV, statement of interest and recommendation letters
- Follow the instructions and click "Apply Now" to complete the online application form first and pay the application fee. There is a time limit of 30 minutes for the application. Ensure you have all necessary documentation at hand when you begin the application.
- You will receive your York reference number in an acknowledgement email within four to five (4-5) business days (not including university closures). You will be able to check the status of your application in MyFile after receiving your York reference number. Existing York U students and alumni, can proceed to enter their past student number to access MyFile.
- Please ensure that you arrange for all supporting documentation to be submitted before the deadline. Please ensure you have all pages of each document.
- If you wish to re-load a document or have uploaded an item incorrectly, visit MyDocServe. It may take up to 3 business days for updates to be reflected in the MyFile portal.
- Select "Supplementary Program Information Form" and provide the contact information for your three referees. Provide academic references or at least one professional reference. Please note there is no functionality to remove or edit a referee's details once submitted. After you submit the names and e-mail addresses of your referees, they will be contacted by e-mail within 48 hours to submit their letter of recommendation, electronically.
- Visit "Supporting Documents" in MyFile to upload your CV, transcripts and writing sample. Documents must be in Adobe PDF format.
- To monitor the next steps, visit our frequently asked questions section "I've applied". Instructions are provided to obtain an application status update and decision from the MyFile portal.
- It is vitally important to pay attention and respond to what is requested in emails sent from York Graduate Admissions. The applicant's responsibility is to ensure a completed application is uploaded two weeks before the deadline and to regularly monitor MyFile until the point of receiving a decision.
- Applicants will be assessed on the basis of academic achievement and/or demonstrated capacity or potential for advanced work in an applied area. The statement of interest and submitted scholarly written work provide a basis for evaluating that potential
- To ensure a fair and objective review process, the program will not comment on the deliberation of the Admissions Committee and is unable to provide written or oral evaluations to applicants after the decisions are made. No provisions exist for reconsideration of admissions after decisions are announced to the applicants.
- Admission deferrals are not applicable. Applicants who decline an offer of admission by our programs are required to re-apply for admission for the following or future academic years
Guidelines to apply to the MA program in Health:
- have completed an Honours Bachelor Degree with at least a B+ average or equivalent in the final 2 years of full-time equivalent university study (or approximately the last 20 half-year university credit courses) upon the commencement of the program. International applicants can refer to the international credentials information for your country.
Admission to the PhD Program in Health
- have completed a Master’s degree with at least a B+ average or equivalent for all enrolled graduate courses upon the commencement of the program. International applicants can refer to the international credentials information for your country
For all applicants:
- Graduate applicants can upload “unofficial” transcripts through MyFile. Transcripts provided in this way are sufficient for determining conditional admission to graduate programs.
- Include all pages of each postsecondary transcript, when you upload into the myFile portal. This initial step but does not complete the process of submitting official transcripts for a graduate school application. Given the COVID-19 pandemic, some institutions will send digital versions of official transcripts. Please direct each institution to email@example.com with the candidate’s name and York ID number.
- Official transcripts (printed copies) are mailed to:
Office of Graduate Admissions
P.O. Box GA2300
4700 Keele Street
Canada M3J 1P3
- Arrange to have all official transcripts in a sealed envelope directly mailed from every post-secondary institution, including universities and colleges, to the Admissions Office at York University. For those institutions that are only sending items electronically to York, they can submit these via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the candidate’s name and York ID number.
- Current or past students York University are not required to submit York transcripts.
- provide a statement of interest (maximum 2 pages in length; single-line spacing) demonstrating commitment to advanced research in the field. The statement should include a discussion of the applicant’s background, interests, skills, career goals and research interests. Typical questions to be addressed in the statements include but are not limited to:
- Briefly explain why you wish to pursue MA or PhD Program in Health.
- Add a statement that identifies the chosen field and why: Specialized field in Health Policy & Equity or Specialized field in Health System Management & Health Data Analytics* (*pending Senate approval)
- Summarize the potential topic on your MA Major Research Paper (MRP), or your PhD Dissertation and suggest a potential principal supervisor who you would like to work with. (*pending Senate approval)
- Explain how the MA or PhD Program in Health will relate to your career goals.
- Suggest three elective courses offered by our program that you are interested in enrolling. (Note that admitted MA students are required to take either more or less than three electives to fulfill the course requirements of the programs. Refer to the degree requirements for details. Also, not all elective courses will be offered every year.)
- submitting one sample of scholarly written work that the applicant has written as the sole author, for a course or in an employment context. (For example, academic essays or research papers which were submitted to an advanced level university courses).
- provide 3 academic referees from university faculty. You should name people who are capable of speaking to your experience and interest in the field of Health Policy and Equity. Applicants who have been out of school for 5 years or less should provide at least 2 names of academic referees from university faculty (preferably all 3 academic referees). Applicants who have been out of school for more than 5 years should provide at least 1 name of academic referee from university faculty (preferably all 3 academic referees).
- provide a Curriculum vitae or Resume.
- provide English language proficiency test result, if required
Canadian applicants are strongly recommended to apply separately for various York University, Tri-Council, provincial or external scholarships.
English Language Proficiency Tests
Proof of language proficiency is required for applicants who meet the following criteria:
- their first language is not English; AND
- they have not completed at least one year of full-time study at an accredited university in a country (or institution) where English is the official language of instruction.
- If you wish to make an inquiry about language tests or scores that were submitted for your graduate application, please visit this site.
International Academic Credentials
International students can review how their academic credentials achieved overseas compare to York University. Please verify the minimum admission requirements listed by country. However, there is no definitive answer to the admission eligibility until the entire application package has been reviewed.